In Celebration of 160 Years of Giving Back, Kiehl’s Launches “Kiehl’s Gives,” A Digital Voting Initiative to Support Children’s, Environmental, and HIV/AIDS Charities around the World
In Proud Partnership with Julianne Moore, Pharrell Williams, and Scissor Sisters
Since its early days, Kiehl’s since 1851 has been committed to the betterment of the communities where it serves its patrons. In celebration of the company’s 160th Anniversary, Kiehl’s establishes “Kiehl’s Gives” – an ongoing global initiative to promote philanthropy around the world, in proud partnership with Julianne Moore, Pharrell Williams and the Scissor Sisters.
“We hope to engage customers in and increase awareness of the importance of giving back,” said Cheryl Vitali, Kiehl’s General Manager, Worldwide. “Kiehl’s Gives is a celebration of our causes, our customers, and our communities around the world.”
To kick-off the initiative, on June 15, 2011 Kiehl’s launches www.KiehlsGives.com with a global donation of $160,000 to charitable organizations in the US and around the world in three key Kiehl’s causes: children’s wellbeing, environmental issues, and HIV/AIDS research – but it’s up to Kiehl’s visitors to determine how much goes where, by casting their vote.
Each pillar is brought to life through a short film series, viewable only at www.KiehlGives.com, and featuring high-profile charitable individuals, who express their personal commitments to causes important to them:
Julianne Moore, “Kiehl’s Gives” Global Ambassador for Children’s Causes
“For me, helping to give kids a fair shake here in the US, and around the world is so important, and I’m grateful to be able to be able to partner with Kiehl’s to help get this message out, ” said Julianne Moore, ambassador for Save the Children, one of the recipients of funding from the “Kiehl’s Gives” initiative.
Pharrell Williams, “Kiehl’s Gives” Global Ambassador for Environmental Causes
“These days there are many ways to build and manufacture using greener, more sustainable means, and Kiehl’s is a company I’ve worked with since 2010 to help get this message out,” said Pharrell Williams, partner in Return Textiles, Inc, and founder of From One Hand to Another, his charitable foundation that is behind the construction of an eco-building in Virginia that will serve as an educational resource center for children.
The Scissor Sisters, “Kiehl’s Gives” Global Ambassadors for HIV/AIDS Causes
“Supporting efforts to not only help find a cure for AIDS, but also to support those who live with it, is something very near and dear to our hearts. We are thankful to join Kiehl’s to be able to inspire more people to give back,” said Ana Matronic, lead singer, Scissor Sisters, and supporter of After Hours Project, a local AIDS charity based in Brooklyn, NY, where she and other members of the band live.
How does “Kiehl’s Gives” work?
– Voting is active at www.kiehlsgives.com from June 15 – August 31, 2011, worldwide.
– Vote on one of three pillars and encourage friends to do the same! Each pillar represents 8 charitable organizations, and “Kiehl’s Gives” supports a total of 24 charities. Learn more about each charity partner at the site.
– The pillar that receives the most votes will receive the biggest donation, which will be distributed among the 8 charities in the pillar. All charities that participate will be financially supported.
– Ongoing “Kiehl’s Gives” components include:
? Kiehl’s Historical Giving : Explore 125+ global, national and local charities that Kiehl’s has supported over the past two decades in markets all over the world including the US, UK, Canada, France, Spain, Germany, Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, Japan and Australia.
? Kiehl’s Legacy: View the 1851-2011 Historical Retrospective Film, featuring celebrity Friends of Kiehl’s, and founding family members Jami Morse Heidegger and Klaus Heidegger.
What are the 24 charities that “Kiehl’s Gives” supports?
1. Save the Children (USA)
2. Great Ormond Street Children’s Hospital (UK)
3. The Canadian Association of Pediatric Oncology Camps
4. MINDS (Movement of the Intellectually Disabled of Singapore)
5. PEACE WINDS JAPAN
6. Heep Hong Society (Hong Kong)
7. ARCHE (Germany)
8. Fundación Pequeño Deseo (Spain)
1. From One Hand to Another (USA)
2. World Wildlife Fund (China)
3. Nanhi Chhann (India)
4. Forest for Life (Korea)
5. Taiwan Environmental Association
6. Y.A.W.A Yaysan Anak Warisan Alam (Malaysia)
7. F.A.I. Italian Environmental Foundation (Italy)
8. Wildlife Warriors (Australia)
1. After Hours Project (USA)
2. FXB (France)
3. HIV Mobil (Austria)
4. Sociedade Viva Cazuza (Brazil)
5. Casa de la Sal (Mexico)
6. Noah’s Ark (Sweden)
7. Schweizer Aids Hilfe (Switzerland)
8. Mercy Centre Hospital (Thailand)
The Mission of Kiehl’s states that we are “to improve in some way the quality of the community… making for better citizens, better firms, and better communities.” To that end, Kiehl’s focuses its efforts first and foremost on the betterment of its local communities by targeting philanthropic endeavors on the needs and concerns of its citizens.