The Datai Langkawi pays homage to nature in all facets of its offering: from environmentally-considered architecture, designed to echo and be enveloped by the natural surrounds, to indigenous herbs and spices creatively incorporated into restaurant menus, and the Spa’s use of rare rainforest ingredients in traditional therapeutic remedies. But what really sets The Datai Langkawi apart is the ability to encounter nature’s spellbinding beauty and wildlife during a simple stroll around the Resort. Intent on offering multiple, unparalleled opportunities for guests to immerse themselves in nature’s wonders, The Datai Langkawi’s ever-expanding and evolving series of nature excursions, wildlife tours and guest speakers is nothing short of exceptional.
Nature Walks, Excursions, Adventures and Special Interest Tours
The island of Langkawi is a true ecological gem, home to Southeast Asia’s first UNESCO Geopark and a fascinating and fragile combination of rainforests, mangroves and beaches, where an abundant and diverse array of flora and fauna flourishes. Developed by Irshad Mobarak, The Datai Langkawi’s Resident Naturalist and enthusiastic team, these group or private tours take guests off the beaten track to discover century old secrets, incomparable beauty, rich wildlife and nature at its adaptive best.
* Rainforest Awakening – As morning light breaks, the forest awakens to the sights and sounds of birds, monkeys, squirrels and a myriad of other animals. Join this guided walk to discover a thriving animal kingdom and a treasure trove of medicinal plants on The Datai’s doorstep.
* Rainforest Afterdark – As night begins to fall, embark on a Naturalist-guided exploration to unravel some of the virgin rainforest’s mysteries, its enigmatic animals and their unique calls, including bats, flying squirrels and flying lemurs.
* UNESCO Geopark Cruise – Explore The Kilim Karst Mangroves, an insular mangrove forest that coexists with magnificent fossil-rich, near-vertical limestone hills that date back 400 million years. Tunnel through caves, identify unique flora and spot eagles, kites, kingfishers, mudskippers, fiddler crabs and monitor lizards.
* Mangrove Cruise & Swimming – The mangroves make for a wonderful study of survival and adaption, a unique ecosystem that thrives in an environment in constant and dynamic change due to tides. Observe white-bellied sea eagles, brahminy kites, herons, mudskippers and monitor lizards; enjoy a home-cooked lunch; and follow a short trail to a jungle pool for a refreshing swim.
* Southern Island Explorer – A tour of south Langkawi’s beautiful seascapes, meandering through straits that bypass fishing villages, magnificent sea stacks, sheer limestone cliffs and tiny islands, stopping to swim in a fresh water lake at Pulau Dayang Bunting and at a secluded beach.
* Kayak & Swimming Adventure – Row with the flow of the mangrove tide at Kubang Badak River, taking in the birdlife and wildlife. Return to shore for a home-cooked lunch, followed by a dip in a secluded stream complete with cascading pool.
* Jungle Trekking – Explore one of the many jungle trails around the Resort. Bespoke hiking tours based on fitness levels and areas of interest, whether bird watching or medicinal plant spotting.
* Family Trekking – An easy trail through the rainforest that leads to a quiet jungle stream and cascading pool, perfect for the whole family or as a couple’s escape.
* Birdwatching Walk – Arise early for a rewarding ramble to observe some of the 260 bird species that call the Datai Bay rainforest home.
* Bird Photography Tours – Capture beautiful birds and diverse landscapes through the lens, from lowland broadleaf rainforest and mangrove forests, to reed beds, rice paddies, orchards, scrublands and mudflats.
Aside from the beautiful rainforest, The Datai Langkawi’s private Datai Bay is also teeming with fascinating and magnificent wildlife. Guests can join the resident Marine Biologist, Jonathan Chandrasakaran to participate in the Resort’s complimentary shoreline safari for an on-foot oceanic journey of discovery.
* Beach and Reef Walk: Life on the Edge – A complimentary 75-minute excursion to visit nature’s sand castles constructed by the Datai’s beach life and to learn about the habits of different species of fish.
For more information, individual tour prices or reservations, visit www.thedatai.com, email email@example.com or call +60 4 9500 500.